Dental implants are artificial teeth built on metal posts implanted into the patient’s jaw. The process of getting dental implants is usually lengthy and it is not cheap, but the results are very pleasing, with teeth that resemble natural teeth more than any other dental replacement solution.
The Implanting Process
Dental extractions usually take longer to heal inside the jaw than they take on the surface – surface wounds heal in a couple of days and the hole left behind by the extraction also close relatively quickly. However, teeth roots can be long and when they are extracted, the body needs to work hard to fill the resulting hole and to restore the strength of the jawbone in the extraction site. The process usually takes up to six month – that is the time that patients need to wait until the implanting procedure can start.
When the jaw has recovered its strength, the dental implants Castle Rock surgeon who performs the implanting will do further tests to make sure that the jawbone is strong enough, indeed. If it is, the post made from some kind of strong and lightweight metal, such as special titanium alloy is manufactured and implanted into the jaw. The patient needs to wait for a couple of months longer to get the crown on the metal post – the jaw needs to accept the foreign object and the post needs to be surrounded by a safe and healthy layer of bone before the procedure can be finished. If the body accepts the post, the implant is finished with a crown of the shape and color of the patient’s natural tooth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants might be a lot more complicated to get than dental bridges, but the solution carries numerous benefits:
- Enhanced stability – dental implants fuse into the patient’s jaw, which means that they do not shift, so the support they provide for the teeth is much more stable than in the case of bridges;
- Improved appearance and comfort – dental implants look every bit like natural teeth and they provide the same level of comfort as well. Cleaning and taking care of them does not require any special tools, substances or techniques – implanted teeth are cleaned with a brush the same way as natural teeth. Dental implants come with the benefit of not having to be removed for the night, so the embarrassment related to having to take out dentures is completely eliminated;
- Easier eating – removable dentures can make biting into hard food or chewing difficult or uncomfortable. Dental implants being stable, strong and sturdy individual teeth, they work exactly like natural teeth, making biting and chewing feel natural, too;
- Improved oral health – implanted teeth replace natural teeth, one at a time, which means that the process does not require the specialist to adjust or to reduce healthy teeth like in the case of dental bridges that require the adjustment of healthy teeth at both ends of the bridge;
- Durability – most dental implants last longer than other dental replacement solutions, with a good dental cleaning and dental care regimen, they can last for a lifetime.